I think this has been a few of the craziest, blurriest days of my life. I guess I'll just start at the beginning - 2 mornings ago.
Wednesday morning I went in for a regular prenatal appt. I had been feeling 'weird' for a lack of better words for about a week or so and so I wasn't completely shocked when the doctor was having trouble finding a heartbeat. She got out the ultrasound and after several difficult mintues, two different doctors confirmed that there wasn't one. Of course this was shocking and sad. I was processing the information when I asked what the next step was. This was a complete shock though, when I found out that I would have to deliver the baby... Luckily a friend was watching the kids for me, and Josh was able to come right away to be with me. There were lots of tears shed in the next hour or so. It was a shock to both of us as we worked to process what would happen over the next few days and how life would change.
We both went together to a different office where they again confirmed what the first doctor had seen, and also told us that it was a boy - which we all had already known. Josh was perfect. I am so grateful to have had him through this all. I couldn't have done it without him. I am also so grateful for my beliefs... this has been a strengthening experience for both my testimony as well as for my relationships with my husband and children.
We set up for Friday morning to go in to the hospital. On Thursday Josh's mom came down to stay with us and to watch the kids Friday and Saturday. We were overwhelmed by our wonderful family and friends. We were brought flowers and food (oh how my friends know I love food!!) and hugs and tears. Some of them took the kids so Josh and I could rest and think... I can't express what a wonderful and amazing feeling it is to feel so loved, even through a difficult time.
Thursday night Josh gave me a blessing. It was a very special experience that I will never forget. The kids were there with us (and Nancy) and of course Robbie isn't the most reverent of kids. He was bouncing around as Josh began to pray, but then a couple minutes later he sat quietly for the rest of the blessing, and both him and Mariah had their hands on mine. I felt so comforted after that and knew that although things would still be hard, that they would be alright, and that my Heavenly Father was watching over me. I knew that we would see our little boy again someday and be able to hold him and get to know him and that through him, our family would be strengthened.
Bright and early Friday morning (6:45!!!) Josh and I headed to the hospital. His sister Tina was so sweet to meet us there. It was a bit of a rush of emotions as we walked by the sweet new babies in the nursery, knowing what was ahead and that that wasn't part of it this time. Any of you that know me really well know that I am a total needle FREAK! A freak as in, they FREAK me out!!! Mostly IV's and having my blood drawn - both of which happened so much in next 24 hours that I wanted to punch the next person that stuck me with a needle!
Getting the IV was a huge ordeal. I was literally stuck over 10 times and by three different people before they could get the darn thing in. I thought I was going to pass out. Josh and Tina were trying to keep me sidetracked. Then I was given medicine every 4 hours to begin contractions etc.
After a long day the baby finally came out. He was so small, but so sweet. All of the nurses and doctors were so compassionate about the situation. We were waiting on the placenta to come out, but I was losing a lot of blood so I had to be taken to surgery which I was very scared and upset about. Josh gave me another blessing which helped me to remember to have faith - faith in God's plan for me, faith in the doctors and their abilites etc. After that I was comforted yet again and knew that I would be fine. I don't remember much of the next couple hours, but I woke up and they told me that everything had gone well. All I wanted was to be with Josh (he obviously wasn't able to go into surgery with me), so a nurse even gave me her personal cell phone to call him and tell him I was ok.
We were taken to a different room - it was probably around midnight at this time and I was worn out - both physically and emotionally (and so was my sweet hubby). I was relieved though, that it was done. The worst was behind us. They brought the baby to us and we were able to hold him one last time. They put his tiny little footprints on a paper with his name: Ryan Anthony Davidson. And they even made a little bracelet that says "Ryan" on it. I think it's perfect that we have a little something to remind us of him and of that day, and to remind us to look forward to the day we will meet again. I wasn't expecting them to do anything like that. Again, I can't emphasize enough how amazing everyone at the hospital was...
My sweet Mariah has been so strong through all this, which I'm sure has been very confusing and difficult for her as well. When we first told her I don't think she quite understood completely. But later that night when I told her that yes the baby was coming out but that we wouldn't be taking him home she lost it. She just cried and cried. I told her that he was so lucky that he gets to be with Jesus already and that he would be watching over us. After asking me lots of questions (that were hard to answer) she calmed down. The next morning when we woke up I asked her if she thought it would be a nice sunny day again (this was Thursday morning). She looked out the window and said, "Nope, gray and dark. Do you know why it is?" "No, why?" "Because Heavenly Father and Jesus are fixing our baby. The next day that it's sunny, then the baby will be in heaven and all fixed."
Well today is Saturday and what do you know? It's a beautiful sunny day, and I know why. I also know that all things, especially trials in life, happen for a reason. They happen to strengthen us, prepare us and teach us. Although I never would have chosen for this to happen to our family, I am grateful that it did. Grateful for the chance to grow and learn. I know the difficulties aren't over, and that hard days are still ahead. But I feel so much peace, love and gratitude that it really is overwhelming to me. Thank you to everyone who has prayed for our family. We have felt those prayers, and still are. We love you all...
Saturday, March 27, 2010
Loss
Posted by The Davidson's at 2:23 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




19 comments:
I am so sorry you and your family have had to go through this, I had no idea. Our thoughts and prayers are with you guys and if you need anything just let me know. We love you guys.
Thank you so much LeAnn!! We love you guys too! =)
Beautiful testimony Brandy. We do love you so much and are glad that you are home. You are so important to all of us, so special and so strong. You are an inspiration and you keep everyone on the straight and narrow. You are a blessing to those around you and I am so thankful that you are my sister.
My heart is so full. Your thoughts were so precious and touching. What a blessing Ryan has been and will continue to be. Our prayers are with you.
Mariah ("big Aunt Mariah") just told us the news. I am so sorry for your loss...tears are flowing! Ryan's purpose for coming to earth will live on through eternity and will have a lifetime of meaning for you all. I know you will see him again and that it will be joyous.
Love and prayers,
The Golden's
I just got your email and read your blog. I'm so sorry for your loss. You are a very strong person. Thank you for sharing your experience...my heart is full, as well. Can I bring you guys dinner this week? I make a heck of a shrimp gumbo or beef stew.
Love and prayers....will send you a link to something I think you'll appreciate as soon as I can re-find it! Bless all of you...
So sorry to hear this Brandy. I was crying reading your blog. You are so strong and faith will get you through this. Glad to hear you had wonderful supportive family, friends and hospital staff though to get you through this.
I'm so sorry! I didn't even know you were expecting so I was completely shocked when I read your blog! What a beautiful testimony you have Brandy! And what a sweet little girl Mariah is, I was crying when I read about how she did through this. You have a sweet wonderful family and Ryan will always be apart of it. Our prayers are with you and your family. I'm sad you're so far away that I can't help with anything, but am glad you have loved ones close who can. You are such a strong person brandy! Keep the faith! We miss you! Take care!
We love you and are thinking about and praying for you...
Oh Brandy. I'm so sorry for your loss, and also so very inspired by your strength and testimony. Thank you for sharing this very tender story, my thoughts and prayers are with your family and I know that Ryan will be eagerly awaiting to join your family in eternity! XOXO
Everyone - we are truly overwhelmed with the love we have felt from you and are so grateful for each of you!! Thank you for your thoughts, prayers and support - we are all doing well... each day seems so get better and better although we will never forget =) We love you!!
I am sorry to hear about your loss. Your testimony touched and strengthened me. You and your family will be in my prayers.
Brandy, when I looked at your blog earlier, I only read your springtime entry. I am now so touched and so sorry for your loss. I had no idea and I will now keep you and your family in my prayers and thoughts. You are such a wonderful person Brandy and your Ryan will be blessing your family from above. He must have been a very special spirit...Mariah must have understood that when she made her sunshine comment...bless her sweet heart. I love you dear Brandy.
Brandy...As I was just listening to Donald L. Hallstrom's Sunday morning conference talk, I couldn't help but think of you. He talked about his grandparents and what a beautiful example they were of turning to the Lord in the face of tragedy...YOU my friend are also such a great example of turning to the Lord. Bless your heart my dear friend for your testimony and example to us all. My prayers are with you and your family. I love you!
Kristy - I couldn't believe it when he began his talk how specific it was and how much it related to what we're going through right now. I'm so incredibly grateful for the gospel and for eternal families... We all signed up for this and knew that it would all be worth it. Thank you so much for keeping us in your prayers and for your sweet thoughts - I love you too!!!
Brandy, I just wanted you to know how very much I felt the love of the Lord for YOU during Conference...President Monson's morning talking seems just for you. Bless you dear friend.
Awww thanks Kristy - you just made my day... Love ya!
That was a heart warming testimony you wrote down and you'll be glad you have it. I am so sorry that little Ryan didn't make it but know that he is serving his mission on the other side. You must have a very valiant little guy. If you need to talk give me a call, I am sorry we are so far away but we are thinking of you and love you all so much.
Post a Comment